Producers need to report NAP losses FSA Update 9-26-12

Posted September 25, 2012 at 5:34 pm

Producers need to report NAP losses

The Noninsured Crop Disaster Assistance Program (NAP) provides financial assistance to producers of noninsurable crops when low yields occur due to a natural disaster. The most commonly covered crops in Hand and Hyde counties include tame grass for hay or for grazing and native grass for hay or for grazing.



An eligible natural disaster is any of the following: damaging weather such as drought, freeze, hail, excessive moisture, excessive wind or hurricanes. The natural disaster must occur during the coverage period, before or during harvest and must directly affect the covered crop.

Producers with NAP crops that have been affected by the current drought conditions should notify the FSA office where their farms records are maintained and complete a CCC-576, Notice of Loss form. This must be completed within 15 days of whichever occurs earlier: 1) disaster occurrence; 2) date damage to the crop became apparent; 3) the normal harvest date.

NAP covers the amount of loss that is greater than 50 % of the expected production based on the approved yield and reported acreage.

For any losses that have occurred on crops intended for hay, producers must notify the local office PRIOR to making another use of the crop. In other words, do not go out and graze fields that were reported as intended for hay…without notifying us and allowing time for an adjuster to appraise the affected acres. All acres reported for hay must have production evidence or appraisals to determine whether a loss will qualify for benefits.

For fields that have been reported for grazing, there is no specific approved yield or production to be reported. However, a producer must provide evidence to the County Committee that because of the drought, the pastures were not able to be fully utilized as normal. Factors that may be considered are: grazing less number of head than normal, taking livestock out of the pasture prior to the ending grazing date, renting/leasing extra pasture, supplemental feeding started prior to end of the grazing period. So, if you were able to graze the recommended number of livestock for your specific amount of acres – with no changes in grazing time or no changes in supplemental feeding, it will be hard to support a loss on those acres.

Mary Johnson, FSA bw.jpg